More in-depth information for officials, couples and faith leaders


Check back later for more information from
Register Our Marriage for officials.



A pre-nuptial agreement is a contract entered into before marriage which outlines how a couple wish to divide their money and property if they get divorced. A post-nuptial agreement is similar but entered into after marriage. Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements are now legally binding unless considered to be unfair by the court. You should get legal advice if you are thinking about entering into one of these agreements.


You can get married by a civil ceremony or a religious ceremony. In both cases, the following legal requirements must be met:

- The marriage must be conducted by a person or in the presence of a person authorised to register marriages in the district the marriage must be entered in - The marriage register and signed by both parties, two witnesses, the person who conducted the ceremony and, if that person is not authorised to register marriages, the person who is registering the marriage.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

Giving Notice

You and your partner must give notice of marriage in your local Register Office, whether or not you wish to marry in that district. The Superintendent Registrar, or Registrar in Northern Ireland, then issues authority for the marriage and you may marry in any Register Office or local authority approved premises in any district. In England and Wales, 28 days notice must be given to the Register Office before the marriage can take place. Both partners must be resident for seven days in England or Wales before notice is given. A notice must state where the marriage is to take place. There is a fee for giving notice.

If one of the partners has been issued with a gender recognition certificate and was previously the civil partner of the person who they wish to marry, there is no requirement for the 28 day notice period. In this case, notice of the marriage and the marriage itself can happen on the same day. If you or your partner are not citizens of an European Economic Area country, you'll have to submit evidence of your immigration status when you give notice to marry. In the period between the notice of intention to marry and the ceremony, anyone with strong grounds for objecting to the marriage can do so. Making a false statement is a criminal offence.

Faith Leaders

Our Faith Leaders training pack is in development. Please check back later for more.

In the meantime, we have created two handy flowcharts for those who are looking to conduct religious marriage ceremonies to ensure they are legally recognised.

Perform and register a marriage as an authorised person (AP)

How to register a building for marriage ceremonies and appoint an authorised person (AP)

If you’d like to know more information, please send us an enquiry via our Contact page and we’ll get back to you